Monday, April 27, 2009

Fried Chicken & Watermelon

Fried Chicken & Watermelon
4.27.09

I never understood how these foods were supposed to be iconic and endemic to only Black people. Last I checked, both per capita (per person) and on the whole, White people consume more chicken (fried or otherwise) than anyone else. Same with watermelon. I know, I know, the minstrel shows and the Blackface mocking that took place years ago used both these foods as symbols of the "underclass"/animalistic nature that Blacks supposedly had, but sheesh.

The Obama stuff was laughable in that people are still resorting to those same tactics in order to make Black people feel inferior. Seriously, is that the best you've got? Shiver me timbers. Where are we at in society today that such tasty foods have made so many Black people feel like they're playing into some silly stereotype just by consuming them.

I suppose showing images of little kids eating porridge doesn't have the same effect, huh, does it?

Shame on you who still use these foods to denigrate Blacks.

1 comment:

  1. It's like my friend Erren said. Who doesn't like both friend chicken and watermelon. They are both really great foods that just about anyone likes.

    ReplyDelete