Wednesday, June 3, 2009

TAXI!!! (or not)

We had a little hiatus due to the ITIS (if you don't know what that means look it up). But we are back at it.

I decided for myself since I can't find a job to save my life...much less a callback for any interview for a damn job that I am gonna do 2 things. First- study for the upcoming LSATs in October or November (which are a bitch)...and second- drive a taxi. Now I never really considered it and from an ego standpoint..a college grad drivin a cab? Really? Only those immigrants do that shit. But then you realize...hmm ok you can make like $200-$300/day like a bartender would. So you give it a shot.

I digress tho. While I was at the 24-hour taxi course that everyone is required to take in order to drive a cab in NYC- you had me (probably the only born and raised NYC native there), a BUNCHA Indians-Pakistanis, a couple Africans and the Asian here and there. In a Sunday morning class, a fellow Indian was teaching the class and he admitted that most of their people "don't feel comfortable picking up a person of color because either he might try to rob them, take them somewhere far and not pay him or just not pay him". Which makes sense. I can't tell you how many times I've been passed over by a cabbie (unless he's African of course) in the late night hours. Even after chasing one to a red light they'll lock their doors and act like they are done for the night...when 3 blocks later they pick up someone who is "less threatening" if you will. The cab doesn't even stop if I'm standin with one of my white friends. So the strategy I have adopted is to simply stand away and let my boy hail the cab and to only turn around AFTER the door is open. Then he can't say or do shit bc it'll make him look even worse.

Even when you get in the taxi, it's sometimes annoying because they're ALWAYS on their damn bluetooths (which I learned is illegal- but for those who had been driving for years they will not listen) and with that retarded as fuck TAXI TV. But I don't really care because all I want to do is go home at that point. The part that's disappointing is that for the most part they're good guys, relatively nice people. But that first hurdle to climb is like watchin The Biggest Loser on Day 1 and watchin them try to climb a wall.

And so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment